Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Winter comes quick in these parts.

When I woke up yesterday morning, it was suddenly autumn. Last week, the temperatures hovered stubbornly in the 90s, as they had for several weeks prior. Yesterday, I got up, went outside, and was greeted with not only cooler air by about 35 degrees, but also that indefinable crisp tang in the air that heralds the oncoming of fall. Growing up in California, we were lucky to get that for about 10 minutes every morning in late September, just as the sun was warming up dry leaves on the ground, but before getting around to heating up anything else.

Apparently this is what it's like to live somewhere with seasons.

Furthermore, I swear I am not making this up -- I heard a Canadian goose fly by yesterday. I might have seen him, but I'm not sure. The point is that it's really bizarre to have a whole season swoop in all at once. I reckon we'll get a couple weeks of heat further along in September, but that's it.

The weird weather change reminded me of that comic book Bone (remember, you were going to check it out when you had a chance). When Fone Bone first comes to the valley, he is warned that he had better find somewhere to stay, as "winter comes quick in these parts." Just a few scenes later, winter arrives:

No comments: