Friday, August 18, 2006

Haunted or retarded?

I've always been a little strange -- someday I hope to combine that quality with excessive wealth and parlay the whole thing into the guise of "eccentric old lady." I either made a start on that journey today, or else my house is haunted. Remember, my dog also whines at nothing, so this further strengthens the haunted house vs. retarded dog and owner dichotomy.

After I washed my hands this afternoon, I sat back down to the computer, ostensibly to work. About 10 minutes later, I tuned in to the sound of water running. I can't tell you if it had been going that entire time, or if it had just started. I thought maybe the toilet was running and went to check it out. Rather than the toilet, I found the faucet on. Just... on.

Here's where I'm going with this. I've never walked away from a running tap in my life. Maybe today was the first day, and I'm just getting crazy and forgetful. Or my house is haunted by someone who wants to run up both my water and my gas bill at the same time (it was the hot water, after all.) If there's some sort of evil spirit in my house, why can't it at least do cool stuff that I can show off to my neighbors, like flinging books around or writing nasty messages on the mirror? Instead, all I get is a water waster. Nice.

No comments: