Thursday, May 19, 2005

That's the best you could do?

From this story on cnn.com about the 12/04 earthquake that caused that big tsunami, comes this memorable quote:

"The quake, centered in the Indian Ocean, also created the biggest gash in the Earth's seabed ever observed, nearly 800 miles. That's as long as a drive from northern California into southern Canada."

Could any imagined distance be any more vague than northern California (San Francisco? Chico?) to southern Canada (Vancouver? Another southern Canadian city?)? I did exactly five minutes of research on mapquest, and came up with these alternatives:

Los Angeles to El Paso
New York to Chicago

And I'm sure there's plenty of others. But I think I've made my point here. Everybody ready? We're going to try this again: Which gives you a better sense of how far 800 miles is?

1) Northern California to southern Canada
2) New York to Chicago

Bitch, please.

No comments: