Thursday, June 09, 2005

Economic Darwinism

Or: "Stupidity Costs Money"

I just watched a girl wander into the break room and wonder aloud to no one in particular, "Does this thing give change?" I kept my mouth shut in accordance with the Prime Directive. Sho' nuff, she stuck money into the vending machine, and was pouty when nothing came out (if you stick a dollar bill in, you have to buy something because it's not hooked up to the coin return). Finally, she just got a candy bar, which I hope she'll enjoy for at least five minutes before she brings it back up again.

Now, I'm wondering -- when she wanted change, did she mean for, like, a fiver? I should go back in there to see if there's still $4.25 available on the machine. I feel for some Twizzlers. Then again, I think I would be exploiting a lesser life form, which is just bad karma.

No comments: