Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My drugstore is a TIME MACHINE

I went to the drugstore today for the usual $50 worth of assorted geegaws, and when I went to the checkout line I found myself behind three Cavorting Teens ™. (They get a service mark on account of their suburbia-bred blandness -- your brand new AC/DC t-shirt does, in fact, prove that you are a unique snowflake, just like all your friends.) I wasn't paying too much attention to the transaction until one of these kids PULLED OUT A CHECKBOOK. A checkbook. A book of analog, ink-on-paper, non-smart-chip-embedded checks, with nary an iPrefix in sight.

As you may imagine, I was floored. The best part was when the kid peered closely at his checks and said to his friends, "Oh wait, these won't work. I gotta go to the car." He then left the store, freeing up the cashier to wait on me. It was too bad, really. I was hoping for a few other anachronisms -- maybe his pager could have gone off, or he could have asked for change to use in the payphone.

No comments: