Friday, July 14, 2006

Birds Eye comes through!


In addidtion to them promising to send me some coupons (sweet), I got a fascinating look into the inner workings of the Birds Eye frozen food machinations:

Dear Ms Rhein:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Birds Eye Broccoli, Carrots & Water Chestnuts.
Quality has been a primary consideration in the production of our products and it has been that way throughout our history. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you've experienced. We understand how frustrating it is to be disappointed in a product you have grown to trust.


Our products are mixed using several different tote dumps and blended together at the scales prior to package filling. Each tote dump system has an individual controller that will speed up or slow down a proportioner wheel that deposits an ingredient onto a belt or shaker along with the other ingredients in the recipe. The mix ratios are measured once per hour at the tote dumps and in the actual package.

We have worked hard with the equipment available to us to optimize the consistency of the mix ratios. In the future, we will have separate conveyors and partitions on the scales that will accurately deliver each component accurately into the container.

We value you as a loyal consumer and appreciate your concern. Free product coupons will be sent to replace the unsatisfactory product.

Sincerely, Lynn Consumer Relations Team Leader

Science! And Technology! Truly this is a wondrous time to be alive. I especially love how she implies that their packing methods are going to be changing drastically as a result of my email. Good times, people. What an auspicious start to my new career as a Grumpy Consumer.

On the other hand, how do I get the great job that Lynn has? I would love to spend my days customizing form apology letters with information about faulty tote dumps.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I love the bit about "we understand how frustrating it is to be disappinted in a product you've grown to trust." Savvy. They sympathize but subtly reiterate that you really truly do love and trust Bird's Eye.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, man. You just creeped me out.

I did imply in my letter that I chose Birds Eye over the store brand in an effort to convey that I could pay less for a similar product... but yeah. Creepy.