Thursday, May 11, 2006

Magic Egg: Day 1

As you may recall, I purchased a tiny little piece of 21st century magic from Wal-Mart last week for the low, low price of $2.97.

Today is Day 1 of the Magic Egg Experience.

I followed the instructions precisely, beginning with those on the flat underside of the egg. I tore down it. Oh, yes, I tore down it with a passion. Sadly, no waterspout appeared. Just some white cottony filler.



Next, it was time to "crack the egg open by tapping it with a spoon." I was highly skeptical of the feasibility of this plan, as my previous experience with ceramics led me to expect that the cheap egg would just kind of crack open vertically, leaving unsightly jagged edges. However, I was pleased to see that the ceramic shell chipped away in pleasing little flat flakes, kind of looking like the layers of a Butterfinger.
The inside is filled with what appears to be either small pieces of wood, cork, or tears of the unborn, though I seriously doubt that Wal-Mart could get a good profit margin using tears of the unborn. Could be space-age polymers. No sign of a visible bean seed though.

All that was left was to water the Magic Egg...


Set it in a sunny place...


...and wait. As you can see, I've left the box next to the egg so you can measure its progress against the graphic.

No comments: