Sunday, January 22, 2006

I will miss the sweet gifts of the alley.

We spent the weekend up in the Land of the Parents, visiting, eating bacon, and gathering together boxes of stuff that I haven't seen since before the San Diego, Fort Lauderdale, and Las Vegas years.

Top Five Things I Found in Boxes Marked "MISC":
5. Six Disneyland nametags, two with year pins on them, one from the Light Magic summer.
4. A square green glass jar that I bought at Pier 1 about 10 years ago and will go perfectly in our new bathroom.
3. Snowglobes. Lots of 'em.
2. Just about every piece of ceramics, good and bad, that I ever made in that storied last year at Cal State Fullerton. I miss you, ceramics.
1. Papers on Shakespeare that I really only did a good job on so I could impress the professor, who was dreamy.

So anyway, I was maneuvering into the alley so I could park in the garage, and my vintage clothes spidey sense went off. I parked the car and took a look at the bundle of clothes that had been left on top of a (very clean mind you) dumpster out back. Sure nuff, it was a big bundle of old ties. Scooping them up, I shuffled into the house Gollum style so no one would steal my Precious.

I got 5 or 6 great ties out of the bunch to wear as belts. Some of them are shiny 70s ties, some are old knit ones. Point is, they are free and deliciously hip. I don't think that sort of thing will happen in our yuppie new suburb, but it's a nice kind of beach sendoff all the same.

No comments: