Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thank God Almighty, I can bake at last!

Ever since I got a job in a real office with real coworkers again, I've been happily baking cookies and cakes on a regular basis. Now I can bake whatever I want to, Chris and I can have one or two servings apiece, and the rest goes to the vultures. It's brilliant.

My latest venture is due to a dream I had a couple nights ago. Seriously. I dream of baked goods. I woke up in the middle of the night from an incredibly realistic dream wherein I was eating a type of cake that my grandma probably hasn't made in 15 years. At any rate, I haven't eaten it in 15 years. I actually laid there in bed, getting hungry because I had remembered this cake. I've been a woman on a mission for two days. The recipe was nowhere to be found in Grandma's trove of recipes, so I had to go on the internet to find something close. I did, and the results should be coming out of the oven in just a few minutes.

You want to know what's in this magical dream cake? Of course you do. Okay. The bottom of the pan gets layered with mini marshmallows, then white cake batter, then a mixture of sliced fresh strawberries and strawberry jello.

Here's the magic part: as it bakes, the strawberries sink to the bottom and the marshmallows come up. It ends up being tasty as hell with strawberry juice keeping everything moist and the sugary top turning the perfect shade of GBD. That's "golden brown and delicious" for people whose priorities wrongly exclude Alton Brown's Good Eats.

Okay, so it just came out of the oven and I think I got exactly what I was looking for! Sorry to tempt all you folks with cake you can't have, but I'm really excited. I'll give you the recipe if you want it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you found the recipe. This is a cake that was never made for her children. I think it was a recent addition to the recipe trove.
Love, Mom

Fountain of Filth said...

That sounds like a very yummy cake!! :)

erica said...

That reminds me of a jell-o my mom used to make, "Middle Ribbon Jell-O". Obviously it was jell-O instead of cake, but it had marshmallow and pineapple and I think a prodigious amount of sour cream. It was good.