Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doppler conversation

You know when you walk past a couple of people who are talking, and you really only hear the middle bit, with sometimes hilarious effect? Today was one of those days, but I was standing very near the two people talking, and there was no middle bit because it was just the one woman talking.

Today was cloudy and gray, which I'm fine with because yesterday was beautiful and tomorrow will be beautiful so that's all that matters. Besides, nothing at all is wrong with cloudy and gray. I happen to like it, especially when there's a soft drizzle to go along with it. Anyway, the woman in question was attempting to engage her cube neighbor in conversation about the weather. "Look, it's breaking up a little," she said. "Look, have you seen it? It's so cool!" Now I've seen clouds break up dramatically and in a cool fashion, and this particular meteorological event didn't quite hold up to her cooing. I was about to turn away and return to my business when I heard,

"Isn't that cool, that the sky is breaking up and you can see blue sky? .....I mean, for people who like blue sky."

What went through this woman's mind in that moment that she had to tack on the last bit? Being "into" blue sky is not exactly the vaguely deviant passion of society's fringe that you'd think would require that kind of backpedaling. My coworkers are disturbing.

No comments: