Friday, May 16, 2008

Wellness makes the difference.

For the last month or so, my company has focused on employee wellness and health. They put together a really compelling little program that has weekly fitness goals and prizes, and they've handed out a few goodies like pedometers. Normally this is something I would participate in and kick ass at, but it came right in the middle of Hurricane Wedding. So I've been watching the festivities bemusedly while I shake my pedometer so it looks like I've been racking up the miles. Not really. That would take effort.

One of the things they gave everyone was a bright orange Nalgene-type water bottle, emblazoned with the company logo and the enigmatic phrase "Wellness makes the difference." Since I drink out of a much bigger Nalgene-type bottle that was given to me when I failed to give blood*, I didn't use this new one.

We got an email yesterday saying, "Please discard the orange water bottle that was placed on your desk last week. We have identified a flaw in the process used to manufacture the water bottles. We have contacted our supplier to discuss the issue and as expected, they are correcting the problem and will be supplying different bottles in the near future. " I guess the orange dye was leaking into the water. Super awesome!

So these Wellness makes the Difference water bottles will kill you. It's just another example of "healthy stuff isn't all that great, actually," stories, which alternate with "sometimes crappy food is good for you" items.

The moral of the story is I'm going to keep eating red meat and drinking booze. Really not related to the water bottle thing at all, but one has to take a stand on these things, doesn't one?

No comments: