Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Peanut butter.

Most of the peanut butter you see in the store has a lot more stuff in it than just peanuts. Sugar, artificial flavors, starch, other stuff. This is pretty much okay, becaus all the extra stuff makes it creamy and tasty and generally good.

Then I found Trader Joe's peanut butter. It's just got peanuts in it. No extra stuff. Now I know you're expecting me to go into a "Natural Stuff Is Better" tirade, but I'm not going to. It's softer than regular peanut butter, so it spreads a lot easier. That's about it. It's still full of fat because it's made from peanuts. I guess it has less sugar, so that's good. I would buy it again, because buying pure foodstuffs makes me feel like a better person.

That is, until I got me a jar of Henry's peanut butter. Like its counterpart at Trader Joe's, it's made of 100 percent peanuts. Unlike Trader Joe's peanut butter, it's runny as all hell. When you try to stir it up, you find that it's more solid the further down you dig, giving rise to the unpleasant realization that until you get about halfway through the jar, you're eating peanut butter-flavored peanut oil. Kinda disgusting.

But now we're about halfway through the jar, and it's edible. But still runny. More of an exercise in dipping prowess than sandwich-eating skills. So I guess what I'm saying is if you were raised on Skippy Super Chunk, like I was, stick with it. It's not worth the hassle. Get closer to nature in another venue.

No comments: