Monday, May 16, 2011

"In every job that must be done..."

... there is an element of fun. You find that fun and, snap! The job's a game!"
-- Mary Poppins, "Spoonful of Sugar"

It's also creepy sometimes.  I was folding the laundry today, which was the last of my three daily goals (element of fun part 2: make a list). As I tried and failed to fit five more white socks into Chris' white sock drawer*, I decided to take all of them out to reclaim all the socks he steals from me organize them into pairs.  Before I started, I guessed I would end up with the laughably large number of 27 pairs of socks.

So, I sorted and matched, and piled up the pairs without counting, savoring the moment I would find out how close I was. Have I mentioned I've got very little going for me in the way of excitement these days? I ended up with two pairs in the garbage due to holes, five unmated socks, and... exactly 27 pairs of matched socks.

I am hoping that analytical sock pairing precognition is only the first of many superpowers I can hope to attain as a mother.



*Who says I never let my two readers hear the sordid details of my personal life?  Yes, Chris has two sock drawers: "white" and "other."  Fun fact: socks can be, and in fact are, manufactured in at least 7 shades of tan.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I use old socks as cleaning rags.

I've pretty much given up on mating my socks, though. I'm a slacker in some ways. ;)

Sarah Marie said...

I feel so close to you right now.