Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I am a Crimestopper in Action (tm)!

My dog and I are still getting used to the idea that she no longer has a backyard to run around in, or a dog door to access that backyard whenever she wishes.  We seem to be getting on pretty well so far by going on three walks a day.  If she doesn't do her business by the end of the 20-minute walk, I just lift her up and squeeze until she goes.  It's like getting the last of the toothpaste out.

I've devised a standard loop of a walk that goes from my house, out to the park at the end of the block, and around a small community center within the park.  Last night, we had just approached the community center when I saw a man, dressed in dark clothing, sidling along the wall.  He was even carrying a small bag or case.  I thought to myself, "No way.  No way is that guy being that obvious.  This is not a man who is about to break into a Chicago community center at like 9:30 at night."  The only thing more suspicious would have been for him to be carrying canvas bags with big dollar signs on them.

I walked past, minding my own business, but when I turned the corner of the building, I glanced back to check on the guy.  SHO NUFF he had opened a window (I guess it was unlocked?) and already had his legs inside.  I don't yet have the non-emergency police number on my phone, so I was still trying to think what I could do about the situation as I came around the back of the building.  To my surprise, a police cruiser was idling in the parking lot.  I recognized the officer from the other day, when I saw her talking to locals at a strip mall.  

After I waved at her from outside the car, she rolled down her window and spent a minute giving the appropriate pets to my beautiful dog before asking me what she could do for me.  "I just saw a man climb in the window of this building, on the other side."  "REALLY?"  Honestly, I think I made her night.  "Where?" she asked.  "Across the street?"  NO, here, this building," as I pointed to the building 20 feet away from us to be clear.  It's the only building in the park.  "He climbed in a window to a dark room here in this building, just on the other side."  She said she'd check it out and peeled out of the parking lot and around to the other side.

I didn't hang out to find out what happened.  I just hope that if this guy was up to no good, she was able to apprehend him.  This is my city now too -- please stay out of my community center.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy buckets.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm proud of you.
Love, Mom R

Anonymous said...

Awsum. You should have found a bench and called Chris to come down with some popcorn to watch.