Monday, October 27, 2008

Get on the O Train!!!

Chris and I are lucky enough to live in a swing state this election year.  Yesterday, Barack Obama came back through Denver and held a rally downtown in Civic Park, which is the massive expanse between the courthouse and the capitol building.  Because we have a bad case of Obamania, we got up at 5:30 and took the train up there so we could get in line early.  It's a good thing we did, because there were only 1,000 or so people in front of us.  This sounds like a lot, until I tell you that there were at least 100,000 people at the rally by the time Obama took the stage.  The crowd spilled out of Civic Park and flowed all the way up the steps of the Capitol.  It was a breathtaking sight.  

It was damn cold, and we did a lot of standing around, but it was totally worth it.  I feel like I was a part of history.  His detractors may say that he's "only a community organizer," but I look around and I see a squabbling, jaded, self-centered community of 300 million people that could do with a little organizing.  It will be nice to say, fifty years from now, that I remember the day I waited for hours to see the man who would one day change America for the better.

Here we are, waiting in line.

This sign said "CO 4 CHANGE"

Ever wonder what 99,000 people looks like? (This is looking back from where we were standing -- the other 1,000 were in front of us.)  I strongly encourage you to click on this picture -- it will open bigger and you can take it all in. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible! Enter "Change We Need" in a photo contest. No kidding.

Dad