Monday, April 16, 2007

Worst shameless plug. Ever.

By now you've probably read about the massive shooting at Virginia Tech, where some guy killed 32 people or so. The ensuing media frenzy has been swift and all-encompassing, reaching its dizzying zenith with an article on CNN.com (I know, I shouldn't bother but where else to get material like this?) entitled "Student Shot Video of Campus Shooting."

First of all, that's an incredibly uninspired headline. Using two entirely different meanings of the verb "to shoot"? CNN = lame. The body of the article went on to describe how one of the students on campus captured footage of the events on his cell phone.

The last sentence is, of course, the punchline:

"I knew it was something way more serious than [a bomb threat], so I started taking the video," he said, adding that he often visited CNN.com and knew he could send his video to I-Report.

Oh my god. Really? I-Report is this stupid format they've been pushing for several months on CNN wherein readers can send in their homemade footage and have it shown on the news site. I like to call it "Current Events' Funniest Home Videos." It's just about the laziest form of news reporting I've ever seen. How much lazier can CNN get? The answer is none. None more lazy.*


*This was a Spinal Tap joke. Please be laughing, because I am.

1 comment:

erica said...

Aah, I'll need to watch Spinal Tap again. Had you made a Neverending Story joke, I would have gotten it as I just watched that one.

"Say my name, Bas-tee-ahn! Say my name!"

Sorry. I'm a huge dork and I make no bones about it.