Sunday, April 22, 2007

Handkerchiefs -- the wave of the future

You might be surprised at the number of people out there willing to pay top dollar for a 12 inch square piece of linen. I speak, of course, about vintage handkerchiefs. I started looking for vintage hankies at estate sales after I poked around on eBay and discovered the slightly inscrutable world of handkerchief collecting. Back in the day, hankies were sold as souveniers right next to collectible spoons, thimbles, and shot glasses. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why the spoons are still around, but hankies aren't. At least you can use a handkerchief, while a small metal spoon with an enamel rendering of the Empire State Building is not as handy.



At any rate, hankies from specific states and tourist attractions, as well as those that pin down a specific point in the distant past, are hot sellers on eBay. If you'd like to get involved in the exciting, gut-wrenching action of handkerchief collecting, check out my stuff for sale. Or just scroll down and look at my hankies that will hopefully end up selling for $10 a piece.



1 comment:

erica said...

I like the calendar one.
I've never understood collectors - probably because my grandparents collect and it always seemed so weird, like why did Grandma actually *need* eight full sets of china with all the little bits and bobs, and rooster themed junk of all types. They seriously have loo pots, that I am sure were once used, in a locked cabinet. That people pooped in. But hey, nobody said they were sane (actually, grandma's been commited several times, but I didn't tell you that). Anyhow, I don't think they were the only people to ever collect loo pots, so don't be lookin' at me like that!