Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The elusive giant bow.

Every Christmas, car manufacturers roll out their "Holiday Sales Event" commercials, which inevitably show a woman being surprised by her husband revealing a new car in the garage or driveway on Christmas morning. It's never the other way around. Ever. But that's not part of this story. What I'm here to talk about today is the gigantic bow that's always perched triumphantly on the top of the car.

Where do these bows come from? Do the dealerships always order a few of these in November to have them on hand for the holiday season? I finally got obsessed enough with this concept that Chris Googled "giant bow" and came up with the company that makes them. So they exist. But I've never seen one on a car, known anyone who has received a car with a bow on, or known anyone who's known anyone who's received a car with a bow on.

I call shenanigans.

5 comments:

erica said...

dang I hope this comment will work!

I always thought they made those just for the commercials. What a useful product. I shall now order a baker's dozen to put on the homeless as they sleep. The holiday cheer will be uncontainable.

erica said...

Finally I can comment again! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

I am the owner of CR Bows We specialize in just that. GIANT BOWS. We also have the worlds largest available to the public. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I just bought an SUV for my wife for Christmas. I called the local Lexus dealer to see if they had bows for sale, but no luck! I don't have time to order one on line, so I am thinking of buying 10 rolls of wrapping paper from Wal-Mart and going wild with the scotch tape. Any recommendations on the best way to wrap a Suburban?

Anonymous said...

Hey- It's me, the guy trying to giftwrap the Chevy Suburban again. As a clueless yet gregarious male I have found that I am able to go into stores that are generally thought of as female (such as fabric stores) and have one of the ladies working there take me in as if I were a lost puppy and help me out! So I stopped into Jo-Ann Fabrics last night and found a middle aged lady working there, told her what I was doing, and next thing you know not only has she picked out all of the things necessary to make the bow, but she has also taken me aside and made the entire thing for me! So now I have a giant custom made bow that matches the car inside and out with enough extra ribbon to wrap around the vehicle all for $10. I think making the bow and the conversation we had during the time made her day (and it definitely made mine too).