Friday, April 15, 2011

Bad Copy of the Day Award: Submitter's Choice

Item 1
My brother-in-law Kenny sent this along, and I'm sorry to say I didn't read it close enough at first because I was so tickled by the ridiculous premise. He was at his local Baja Fresh, callously enjoying delicious California-style Mexican foodstuffs with little, if any, sympathy for those of us who have moved outside the Western Pico de Gallo Zone. The item in question was a "did you know" style sign, as follows:

"HEALTHY HEAT -- Chile peppers contain capsaicin, the compound that gives chile peppers their heat has been found to inhibit the growth of cancer cells."

Mmmm, round and round we go, and it never makes any more sense. It's like a factoid Mobius strip.

Item 2
I told you that story so I could tell you this story. My mom read about the Native Verbers in a previous post and shared with me:

"It reminded me of a sign (marquee) that drove us crazy. It was in front of a restaurant in Chula Vista, when we lived there. It invited people to 'Mother's Day with us' or 'Father's day with us,' etc. Never did use the word 'spend'. Maybe they didn't have a capital S."

Thanks for the Bad Copy of the Day Time Warp, Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that this "Bad Copy" will spend eternity on your blog. It's like having the last word. I think we even asked the people inside the restaurant about the sign. They didn't understand what was wrong.
Mom R.