Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm a-runnin'.

Remember when I said I had started training for a 5k? Of course you do, because you're one of my two readers. Congratulations on having excellent taste and good short-term memory!

It's two months later, and my "race" is tomorrow. It's a 3.5 mile charity run benefiting a food drive, and I put race in quotes to indicate that the likelihood of me being able to gear up to cruising speed in a crowd of a brazillion people is, well, unlikely. The important part is that I get a t-shirt, and an official number with a little timing chip in it, and Chris' company (with whom I am participating) is feeding and beering me afterwards. Yay!

Even if I don't get to run the whole way due to other meatbags being in the way, I am happy knowing that I can actually run 3.5 miles and have been doing so for a couple of weeks now. The awesome podcasts I've been using to train also has programs for 8k and 10k, which is kind of tempting. Kind of. Running sounded a lot more fun when temperatures were in the 60s, which was right up until three days ago. So I don't think it will become a new hobby, but we'll see.

Photos of me with my official timing chip number thing will be uploaded as soon as possible.

Attention parents: click on the map and it will open bigger, allowing you to better see my race route.


Update: I ran! I managed to keep up a jog the entire time, though the massive crowd of 20,000 people did slow me down a little. It was really cool running through Grant Park, past Buckingham Fountain and the Art Institute. The President even flew by in his helicopter and backup auxiliary helicopter! He was coming home for the weekend. How is this not the greatest city ever?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY good for you!

ok, catching up on posts/comments... i LOVE your lion, it's the most adorable crossdressing knitted lion i've ever seen! i am excited to be taking a toe-up knitting class series starting next monday. socks are my knitting goal for this year. i'm sick of living in hat and scarf limbo.

PS - i have music on the interweb, and some of it is funny! http://www.soundcloud.com/gawkylu you will like "shave your legs" and "my boyfriend's a zombie". more is coming, of course. xoxoxo

also pps - i started a bi-weekly beer and knitting night and it's awesome, i wish you lived in portland so you could come hang out!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.