Sunday, July 13, 2008

Overheard in Target

This was one of the funniest and saddest exchanges between a married couple that I've heard in a while.  I was browsing the women's clothes when I passed a couple who were looking at the clothes on clearance.  The man pointed out a bright orange blouse and the following conversation ensued:

"Hey, hon, you should get this."
"......Why?"
"The bears are coming."
(confused silence) "....What?"
"The bears are coming."
"................What are you talking about?"
(as though speaking to a child) "Football is coming. The Bears are coming..... you know, you gotta wear orange every Sunday."
"Oh."

And then they walked on.  I can't even imagine this woman's life, though I know conversations like this happen all over America, and all around the world (but usually for soccer).   I just loved his simple conviction, and her masterful ability to completely sidestep that conviction.  Well done, the both of you.  And go Bears.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is this "Th" tag? Like a "pft" or "tssss" tag?

Fountain of Filth said...

Great reminder why I'm thrilled I married a man who isn't a huge sports fan. :)