Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Resolutions? Okay.

Why have just one?

1. Climb at least four new Fourteeners this summer.
2. See two new countries (Guatemala and Belize).
3. Tour two new Colorado breweries.
4. Make it out to the Mesa Verde cliff-dwelling Indian site.
5. Don't freak out too badly about the wedding.
6. Unlike all my friends, have my thank-you cards sent out within six weeks after the wedding.
7. Don't freak out too badly about the wedding.
8. Don't freak out too badly about the wedding.
9. Learn to knit socks and cable-knit sweaters.

You may notice that none of these resolutions involve me being a better person, quitting a bad habit, or losing weight. This is primarily because I'm already better than most people, can live with the few bad habits I have, and already lost a shitload of weight in 2007. Secondly, I've found that resolutions are much easier to keep when they're fun and designed to broaden one's overall experience. For example, my resolution about 10 years ago was to learn to eat with chopsticks. Did it make me a better person or make the world a better place? No, but I was no longer the one ass at the Chinese food restaurant asking for a fork. So. As we begin this new year together, I wish both of you (remember, I only ever assume I have two readers, and my mom is one of them) a safe, happy, and prosperous new year. If you settle on a resolution that makes you a better person, make sure you lord it over other, less enlightened people just a little. It's fun.

1 comment:

erica said...

Don't forget not to stress about the wedding!

I'm going to continue trying not to be my own Nazi, but also try and somehow balance it so I'm not always going off the deep end. (I'm not good at balance. In fact, I suck at balance like Bush sucks at pronouncing "terror".)