Thursday, November 08, 2007

It's cake graduation time!

I've now completed my first four-week class in Wilton cake decorating, and I'm happy to say it's not as hard as it looks. I've learned the basics, and practice will help me improve my techniques in time. I am now fully qualified to create a rose from a paste made of Crisco and powdered sugar. It's an accomplishment, of sorts. I even got a certificate that's hanging proudly on my refrigerator.

It's hard to tell the colors, because I didn't have very good lighting and I couldn't use the flash without washing out the cake, but the roses and dots all over the cake are ivory. I wigged out the other soccer moms in my class by mixing green, yellow, and purple to color my leaves. They don't see what's wrong with using the bottle marked "leaf green," but I dare you to show me a leaf the color of that bottle. "Purple???" they asked? Yes. Here is a color wheel. Let me explain it to you ladies, using small words. Just kidding. I said, "Yes, it looks better," and moved on with my cake decorating.



Oooh, artsy shot that makes you feel like you're an inch tall and standing on the cake! So cool!


So what with holidays and all that, I can't take the next course until January. I'm really looking forward to it, mostly because I'll need another breather from planning this obnoxious wedding by then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but there's no purple in green! what's a color wheel? AHH!!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. my name is not anonymous.