Friday, October 19, 2007

bask in my throwback retro vintage cake of yesteryear

There'ssomething just a little old-fashioned about piping cup after cup of powdered-sugar-laden Crisco onto a cake, so for my first official "Wilton method" cake I decided on a generational touchstone that evokes the future of nearly thirty years ago. Pac-Man. The little star-shaped dots that make up P-Manny and his ghosty gang were pretty easy to learn how to do, and the process of filling in an area with dots is downright mesmerizing, something I always look for in a new handicraft hobby.
If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would have colored the base frosting to make the whole cake more interesting -- I simply wasn't thinking when I initially frosted the cake. I'd love to do black frosting so I could lay out more of the Pac-Man game screen, with double blue lines and all. The downside of that is people hate getting their teeth and lips black. So maybe not.
Also, if this would have been actually for someone and I hadn't been fighting off a cold when I finished it at 10 pm, I would have given everyone eyes. I just didn't care enough.
Next week it's creepy clowns and some simple flowers -- I've been told that I have to learn how to do the clowns, but I do not have to put them on a finished cake if I don't want to. Thank god -- I think that will save me a few sleepless nights and therapy bills.



2 comments:

erica said...

This cake brings a tear to my eye and a song to my heart. Well done.

Anonymous said...

IM IN UR BLOG... LURNIN BOUT KRISCKOE.

Actually not, since you failed to educate us on the joys of Crisco vs. butter. Good times. I do love it when we're not busy at work; I get so much more education on those days.

smm