Saturday, October 23, 2010

A story about Chris

Our friends Sarah Marie and Stuart visited us a couple of weekends ago. Much like myself, Sarah Marie was raised Protestant and went and married a Catholic guy. She was giving him a hard time because of his "sad childhood," defined mostly as an upbringing devoid of songs such as "Jesus Loves Me." "It's true," he said, "I don't even know the words."

I was equally amused and appalled, and instantly turned to Chris to find out if this bizarre method of childrearing had been foisted upon him as well. "Chris -- do YOU know the words to 'Jesus Loves Me'?"

Chris was confident. "Sure thing. It's like,

Jesus loves me, this I know
Because the Bible says it's so
If he hollers let him go
E-I-E-I-O

I legally died laughing. I was out for a good ten minutes, and spent some quality time with my grandparents, Abe Lincoln, and a pet rat named Chloe before I came back to this dimension.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also was raised Protestant and married a Catholic guy.
I was amazed that not everyone knew the words to "Jesus Loves Me" or the hymns that I grew up knowing.
Also, the requirement that one had to go to church on Christmas Day. Church was closed on Christmas, unless it was Sunday.

Mom R.

Unknown said...

YOU WIN!!! BEST BLOG POST OF THE YEAR!!!!