Monday, June 11, 2007

Stupid lazy Americans

After I saw the individually-shrink wrapped potatoes being sold because they're more convenient to microwave that way, I thought America's produce sections had reached the zenith of lazy stupidity.

Today, I saw something that made me reconsider my fellow countrymen's apparently boundless desire to reduce the amount of vegetable prep time as much as humanly possible.

Right there, next to the normal white, yellow, and red onions selling for $1.49 a pound, there were bins full of PEELED white, yellow, and red onions selling for $1.99 a pound. Pre-peeled onions. Assuming the average large onion weighs in at about a pound, that means I'm paying someone 50 cents to peel my onion. Scale that labor cost up to the rest of my dinner ingredients, and I might as well go to a restaurant and not have to cut up and cook my own damn food.

IT'S NOT LIKE ONIONS ARE HARD TO PEEL. THEY HAVE LAYERS, LIKE PARFAIT AND OGRES. *pant* *pant* Stupid Americans.

2 comments:

erica said...

What's worse is the frozen pre-diced onions. You don't even have to peel or cut the vegetable! My GOD people!

OK sorry, I get all worked up over the situation of food in this country. It's deplorable.

erica said...

OK so maybe frozen pre-diced onions aren't worse, but they're pretty bad. After the two senconds it takes to peel the onion, it takes like 20 more to chop it (at least, with my commercial onion chopping skillz it does). Of course there is the matter of crying, but if you breathe through your mouth it won't be a problem.

Dang, I hate it when my logic is flawed.